|Bay Point Historical Society||
In 1917, the United States Shipping Board provided a government loan to the Pacific Coast Shipbuilding Company to build a company town. The Board commissioned Bernard Maybeck to be Supervising Architect for laying out the new town. He designed the hotel and around 200 of the initial homes built in the town. George Applegarth was hired as Acting Architect. In this position, he drew many of the plans for the town.